Wednesday, December 1, 2010

ten dollar tuber

... and worth every cent!

This is a really BIG BABY (OK nowhere near as big as Udo Kier in The Kingdom but I digress already) - it was the last one at the supermarket until 'soon' and it's all mine.
I FOUND JICAMA IN PERTH!
Sweet, crunchy, delicious, juicy, versatile, wonderful jicama.
It masquerades as 'yam bean' in asian food stores, and we have it!

This one I'll probably just slice on the mandoline, mix with bean sprouts, coriander and we'll see what's in the fridge with mango and lime sauce, but you can do so many things with it.  This one will go a long way.


 IT'S HUGE!

I shall endeavour to showcase jicama's talents here soon,  
I'm still buzzing from the shopkeeper telling me that in twenty years she'd never seen it in Perth, and the best bit:  "I've never seen a western person buy this"  Haha!!  Happy me!

I love you so much I'm going to eat you tonight.
mwah!

But before I go, here are a few more reasons I love Asian supermarkets:

fungal dichotomy -

You like green coconut? I like mine psychologically underdeveloped - 

 A trio of little beauties - young coconut, jicama/yam bean and purple sweet potato
I promise to slice them open and show off their insides.


and here's that baby buddha hand citron in focus.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Martine! Have you been to Trans Emporium on Newcastle St yet? You must! You must!

    I found yam bean in IGA Margaret River last week too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is a yam bean Jicama? Where did you find jicama in Australia? Sooo cool I would have been ecstatic as well!!

    ReplyDelete