Friday, May 27, 2011

Khorasan and the Purple Cheese Monkey

- a story of bread and cheese
Purple Cheese Monkey Pondering
I  remember when I started out on this raw venture I had some pretty serious cravings, and they were so very often for cheese.  At times I'd either fight it, feed it, regret it, indulge and enjoy it, select the best quality and have it as a treat, but I still didn't really want to be eating dairy food.  It didn't feel right but it really had me in its thrall. After a while I decided I'd "binge consciously" - or at least try to be aware of what I was doing and what had triggered it.  

My whole approach to a high raw diet is one of abundance and the idea that has kept me going the most has been that "I can have anything I want, whenever I want it" so there's no taboo.  I hold onto that philosophy and shy away from labelling myself as it usually ends up being another box I get forced into. 
but anyway - the cheese thing

Wow was I asking a lot from cheese - it had to soothe me, be there for me, nourish and comfort me and be squishy, gooey, sharp and tasty all at once - at it was all those things, until the act was over and I wasn't sure it respected me anymore. (the guilt, bloaty indigestion and blech feeling)

Now to my astonishment, I can walk down the cheese aisle of the gourmet deli, muse and ponder and walk on by.  I never thought I'd be that way BUT I still love aspects of cheese - social, tasty, indulgent, fun...
 
so now, I'M MAKING CHEESE!
totally plant based and dairy free.

It's a grand experiment using nuts (currently almonds, more to come)  Some are fermenting with time, others with probiotic powder or lemon juice and miso.  Some are draining, another's pressed and another's just sitting in its own juices doing its thing.   
the whey station
pressing the cheese
Purple Monkey's view looking down - I found a 3 tiered removable basket trolley on wheels and knew it would be handy! He's watching from the top basket.
 I'll eat it with Khorasan bread - huh? What's that? Well it took me by surprise too - Would you believe that Pure Life have repackaged their sprouted breads?  I love their totally anachronistic look - it's new! it's old!

and it is both - sprouted grain bread, sumerian bread, essene bread - I enjoy it from time to time with none of the side effects of baked wheat bread - although it's not gluten free nor wholly raw it is pretty good.

Turns out that 'KAMUT' which I always knew as an ancient form of non-hybridised wheat, is a brand name for the grain which is actually called Khorasan.  So there's a new mouthful.

I'd best pop back and get some yellow cake - used to be their "Essene Supreme with Dates and Walnuts" but it too has a new old look - yellow cake and cheese - yes please!



No comments:

Post a Comment